From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] More on mbr
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:50:53
1 How can I get a real eyes on look at what is in the MBR. I'm trying
2 this:
3
4 dd if=/dev/hda of=mbr.img bs=512 count=1
5
6 Running strings on the result shows a litte of it:
7
8 strings mbr.img
9 LILO
10 LILOu)^h
11 `UUfP
12 fPYX
13
14 I thought maybe it could be mounted so:
15 mkdir mbr
16 mount -o loop mbr.img mbr
17
18 But mount wants to know what `type' filesystem it is. I tried a few
19 things but really didn't expect them to work like:
20 ext2 msdos minix iso9660
21
22 None worked of course. So can this be done? Any one know what
23 should be in there exactly and how to view it?
24
25 What this is all about is that I'm not succeding in overwriting the
26 lilo code mbr by running `grub setup'
27
28 The grub command succeeds but when I attempt to boot I still get a
29 crippled lilo response. By crippled I mean the dread:
30 Li . . . . Hang forever
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list