From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: can't create file but disk isn't full
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 22:25:20
1 Willie Wong writes:
2
3 > When the filesystem fills up, services can start failing left and
4 > right because they cannot write logs, cannot write temp files, etc. At
5 > this point human intervention is necessary: root has to log in and
6 > clear out the disk. But if the $ROOT filesystem is completely full,
7 > one may not even be able to log in and/or that one cannot do any sort
8 > of maintenance that is needed. So you have some sort of circularity.
9 > (In which case you have to reboot, perhaps using another medium...)
10 >
11 > The way out is to reserve some breathing room for root so that when
12 > everybody else is having problems he can still get in and fix the
13 > problem.
14 >
15 > The 5% is historical from days when disks are much smaller. If you
16 > have a sensible partition scheme you only really need to reserve the
17 > blocks on the $ROOT filesystem. If the partition in question (IIRC) is
18 > only for /home, then you can just turn off the reserved blocks all
19 > together.
20
21 Isn't another purpose of those 5% the reduction of fragmentation that
22 occurs more when there is few free space left? Although I also reduce ift
23 on very large partitions. But I never set it to exactly zero.
24
25 Wonko