From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: can't create file but disk isn't full
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 22:57:06
1 On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:25:08AM +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > > The 5% is historical from days when disks are much smaller. If you
3 > > have a sensible partition scheme you only really need to reserve the
4 > > blocks on the $ROOT filesystem. If the partition in question (IIRC) is
5 > > only for /home, then you can just turn off the reserved blocks all
6 > > together.
7 >
8 > Isn't another purpose of those 5% the reduction of fragmentation that
9 > occurs more when there is few free space left? Although I also reduce ift
10 > on very large partitions. But I never set it to exactly zero.
11
12 Perhaps? I don't know. My ext3 partitions with 0% are all for large
13 files (videos and music) that are more or less static, so I can't say
14 anything about fragmentation on them. My other partitions are all
15 reiser, so can't say anything about fragmentation on them either :)
16
17 W
18 --
19 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
20 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
21 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton