From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: dual boot: XP installed last?
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 18:03:48
1 On 10/30/06, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 >
5 > > > If I install XP in the partition and it writes over the MBR,
6 > > > then, upon reboot, how do I get to grub.conf so I have the
7 > > > option to reboot the gentoo, then run grub setup?
8 >
9 > > Run it from the live CD.
12 > Ok here's what I did in case anyone else has to do this:
13 >
14 > Booted up ran a terminal session, when root and issued:
17 > grub-install /dev/hda <did not work>
18 >
19 > so I mounted : mkdir /mnt/boot
20 > mount /dev/hda2
21 > grub-install /dev/hda <did not work>
22 >
23 > grub-install /mnt/dev/hda2 <did did not work>
24 >
25 > grub /mnt/dev/hda2 <throws me into 'grub>'>
26 > grub> root (hd0,1)
27 > grub> setup (hd0)
28 > grub> quit
31 > reboot Works great!
32 >
33 > Thanks Neil....
36 > James
40 > --
41 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
44 Just so you know, it's possible to do a grub-install with just a minimal cd,
45 provided your existing gentoo environment works:
46
47 mount /dev/rootpart /mnt/gentoo
48 mount /dev/bootpart /mnt/gentoo/boot
49 mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
50 mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
51 chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
52 env-update && source /etc/profile
53 grep -v rootfs /proc/mounts > /etc/mtab
54 grub-install /dev/hda (or whatever your hdd is called)
58 - Mark Shields