From: Gabriel Rossetti <mailing_lists@××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Cell phone as modem
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 00:54:48
1 Grant wrote:
2 >>>>> Nice, I'm very glad to hear it works so well. I guess
3 >>>>> something like that would work even over an analog connection.
4 >>>>>
5 >>>> On a true analog (800MHz AMPS service) cell phone, I've had
6 >>>> pretty decent success using MNP5 modems up to about 2400 baud.
7 >>>> The standard CCITT error dectection/correction schemes used on
8 >>>> landline modems isn't resilient enough for RF links. Good luck
9 >>>> finding MNP5 analog modems. ;) Multitech in St. Paul was the
10 >>>> last vendor I knew about that sold them, and that was 10+
11 >>>> years ago.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> If you're talking about an analog connection to a digital
14 >>>> phone, it just won't work. The Codecs that digital phones use
15 >>>> are optimized for human speech and won't pass QPSK (or even
16 >>>> FSK) modem signals in a usable manner.
17 >>>>
18 >>> What I meant there was that I should be able to dial up in
19 >>> this manner even if the signal is reported to be analog
20 >>> instead of digital. Is that true?
21 >>>
22 >> I still don't understand what you're asking. Unless you're
23 >> 800MHz AMPS service, it's all digital. There is no analog
24 >> signalling on the network.
25 >>
26 >> If you're using an 800MHz AMPS service, then the "voice"
27 >> channel is an analog FM link band-limited to 300-3KHz with C
28 >> message weighting (just like a landline phone connection). You
29 >> can push an analog modem signal through that voice channel, but
30 >> the channel quality varies a lot and you need a really
31 >> bullet-proof error-correction scheme like MNP5.
34 > What I'm trying to determine is, if AT&T or T-Mobile have the type of
35 > service you're describing:
36 >
37 > 1. will it work in both "analog" and "digital" service areas
38 > 2. does the phone need to support anything in particular to use it
41 >>> Are you saying it depends on whether or not the phone is
42 >>> capable of 800MHz AMPS service?
43 >>>
44 >> I guess so. The carriers are going to shut down AMPS service
45 >> soon anyway.
48 >>>> It's just passing on digital data that's carried by the
49 >>>> wireless protocol in use (GSM/TDMA or 1xRTT/CDMA). When you
50 >>>> "dial up a landline" with a digital cell phone, the wireless
51 >>>> carrier actually has to connect a modem to a landline at the
52 >>>> carriers switch and dial the number. The digital data from the
53 >>>> cellphone is then routed to that modem.
54 >>>>
55 >>>> If you're using the wireless carrier as the ISP, then there are
56 >>>> no modems involved at all: the digital data from the modem is
57 >>>> simply routed onto the Internet.
58 >>>>
59 >>> I see. So the only ways you know of to get a laptop online
60 >>> with a cell phone are with a data plan in a digital service
61 >>> area, or with any Verizon plan in either an analog or digital
62 >>> service area?
63 >>>
64 >> If you're using analog service, you can use any carrier that
65 >> allows normal phone calls to access a dial-up modem. You just
66 >> need a phone with a phone jack into which you can plug an
67 >> analog modem. Motorol "bag" style phones used to have a
68 >> accessor that plugged between the handset and the radio which
69 >> provided a modem jack. I don't think you're going to find too
70 >> many current phones that provide an analog modem jack.
73 > I don't think I'll have any luck finding a cell phone with an analog
74 > modem jack. Were you using an analog modem plugged into your cell
75 > phone with the service you were first describing?
78 >> Sprint also apparently has a free low-speed Internet access
79 >> service similar to Verizon's "QNC" service. I don't know if
80 >> Sprint's free low-speed service allows you dial up a
81 >> landline-modem or not.
82 >>
83 >> FWIW, I just plugged my VX4400 into my laptop, and Verizons
84 >> low-speed QNC service is still working. There are rumors
85 >> that Verizon is about to pull the plug on QNC, but those rumors
86 >> have been around for years.
89 > I've got to go with GSM. If both Sprint and Verizon offer it, there
90 > is probably a good chance that AT&T and/or T-Mobile do too.
91 >
92 Neither Sprint nor Verizon offer GSM, they use CDMA, thus you can't
93 travel anywhere (that I know of) with those phones. If you are looking
94 for a "world phone", get a quad-band GSM phone, Cingular/AT&T or
95 T-Mobile carries them in the US, in Europe everyone carries them.
96
97 -Gabriel
98 > - Grant
102 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list