From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: external (NFTS) USB 2TB stick error mount.
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 22:38:20
3 >> -----Original Message-----
4 >> From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
5 >> Sent: Monday, November 1, 2021 4:10 PM
6 >> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 >> Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: external (NFTS) USB 2TB stick error mount.
8 >>
9 >> On 2021-11-01, thelma@×××××××××××.com <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
10 >> > On 11/1/21 4:47 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
11 >> >> On 2021-11-01, thelma@×××××××××××.com <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
12 >> >>
13 >> >>> I format external nvme SSD (M.2) drive as NTFS on Windows (to store
14 >> >>> some pictures etc.) But when I insert the drive on Linux box (it
15 >> >>> has support for NTFS enabled) I get an error:
16 >> >>
17 >> >> Please define what you mean by "it has support for NTFS enabled".
18 >> >>
19 >> >> Are you running a v5.15 kernel with the new in-tree NTFS driver?
20 >> >>
21 >> >> Are you using the ntfs3g FUSE driver?
22 >> >>
23 >> >> Are you using the old, read-only NTFS in-tree driver?
24 >> >
25 >> > I'm using kernel: 5.4.72-gentoo
26 >> >
27 >> > Under: File systems:
28 >> > DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems:
29 >> > <*> MSDOS fs support
30 >> > - <*> VFAT (Windows-95) fs support
31 >> > - <*> NTFS file system support
32 >> > - [*] NTFS write support
33 >> > After installing sys-fs/ntfs3g
34 >> > It keeps telling I don't have:
35 >> > CONFIG_FUSE_FS: is not set when it should be.
36 >>
37 >> OK, that's what is referred to as the old read-only in-tree driver. It has had experimental write support for a long time, but people still call it "the read-only driver". Most people "in the know" seem to advise that the write support should not be used, and many advise not using that driver it at all. The ntfs-3g FUSE driver is usually recommended instead.
40 Because it is read-only for all practical purposes. Unless there's been a recent improvement its write support technically works, but it can only change the contents of existing files and cannot create new ones. Works fine for a read-only driver, but not much point to using it unless you're an insane nutjob like me who occasionally needs to boot from NTFS and so needs a driver that can be compiled in.
41
42 LMP