From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: external (NFTS) USB 2TB stick error mount.
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 23:09:53
1 On 2021-11-01, thelma@×××××××××××.com <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 11/1/21 4:47 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2021-11-01, thelma@×××××××××××.com <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I format external nvme SSD (M.2) drive as NTFS on Windows (to store
6 >>> some pictures etc.) But when I insert the drive on Linux box (it
7 >>> has support for NTFS enabled) I get an error:
8 >>
9 >> Please define what you mean by "it has support for NTFS enabled".
10 >>
11 >> Are you running a v5.15 kernel with the new in-tree NTFS driver?
12 >>
13 >> Are you using the ntfs3g FUSE driver?
14 >>
15 >> Are you using the old, read-only NTFS in-tree driver?
16 >
17 > I'm using kernel: 5.4.72-gentoo
18 >
19 > Under: File systems:
20 > DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems:
21 > <*> MSDOS fs support
22 > - <*> VFAT (Windows-95) fs support
23 > - <*> NTFS file system support
24 > - [*] NTFS write support
25 > After installing sys-fs/ntfs3g
26 > It keeps telling I don't have:
27 > CONFIG_FUSE_FS: is not set when it should be.
28
29 OK, that's what is referred to as the old read-only in-tree driver. It
30 has had experimental write support for a long time, but people still
31 call it "the read-only driver". Most people "in the know" seem to
32 advise that the write support should not be used, and many advise not
33 using that driver it at all. The ntfs-3g FUSE driver is usually
34 recommended instead.
35
36 > I think I need to enable:
37 >< > FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) support
38
39 You need that if you want to use the ntfs-3g FUSE driver.
40
41 IIRC, the ntfs-3g driver supports a number features that the old
42 in-tree read-only driver (which you are using) does not. The
43 "windows_name" option appears to be one of those.
44
45 If you want to use the windows_name option, you'll probably have to
46 disable the in-tree driver and use the ntfs-3g one. It might be
47 possible to use ntfs-3g without disabling the in-tree driver, but that
48 sounds like a good way to get confused...
51 Grant