From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: external (NFTS) USB 2TB stick error mount.
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2021 08:57:59
1 On Monday, 1 November 2021 23:09:36 GMT Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2021-11-01, thelma@×××××××××××.com <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On 11/1/21 4:47 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 > >> On 2021-11-01, thelma@×××××××××××.com <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >>> I format external nvme SSD (M.2) drive as NTFS on Windows (to store
6 > >>> some pictures etc.) But when I insert the drive on Linux box (it
7 > >>
8 > >>> has support for NTFS enabled) I get an error:
9 > >> Please define what you mean by "it has support for NTFS enabled".
10 > >>
11 > >> Are you running a v5.15 kernel with the new in-tree NTFS driver?
12 > >>
13 > >> Are you using the ntfs3g FUSE driver?
14 > >>
15 > >> Are you using the old, read-only NTFS in-tree driver?
16 > >
17 > > I'm using kernel: 5.4.72-gentoo
18 > >
19 > > Under: File systems:
20 > > DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems:
21 > > <*> MSDOS fs support
22 > >
23 > > - <*> VFAT (Windows-95) fs support
24 > > - <*> NTFS file system support
25 > > - [*] NTFS write support
26 > >
27 > > After installing sys-fs/ntfs3g
28 > >
29 > > It keeps telling I don't have:
30 > > CONFIG_FUSE_FS: is not set when it should be.
31 >
32 > OK, that's what is referred to as the old read-only in-tree driver. It
33 > has had experimental write support for a long time, but people still
34 > call it "the read-only driver". Most people "in the know" seem to
35 > advise that the write support should not be used, and many advise not
36 > using that driver it at all. The ntfs-3g FUSE driver is usually
37 > recommended instead.
38
39 Best to disable the in-kernel write support. There was a warning it could
40 corrupt a fs, unless you were overwriting an existing file with another file
41 of exactly the same size.
44 > > I think I need to enable:
45 > >< > FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) support
46 >
47 > You need that if you want to use the ntfs-3g FUSE driver.
48
49 Yes.
52 > IIRC, the ntfs-3g driver supports a number features that the old
53 > in-tree read-only driver (which you are using) does not. The
54 > "windows_name" option appears to be one of those.
55 >
56 > If you want to use the windows_name option, you'll probably have to
57 > disable the in-tree driver and use the ntfs-3g one. It might be
58 > possible to use ntfs-3g without disabling the in-tree driver, but that
59 > sounds like a good way to get confused...
60 >
61 > --
62 > Grant
63
64 Have a look here, which explains what is needed for ntfs-3g:
65
66 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NTFS
67
68 PS. I recall a case where a corrupted NTFS, I think it was on Win2000, could
69 be read by the in-kernel driver. Neither the native MSWindows OS could read
70 it, nor the ntfs-3g.