From: Steven Lembark <lembark@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips/Tricks for Gentoo on low-spec computer?
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 14:43:44
1 > I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old
2 > machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron
3 > Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. I'm using an nVidia PCI
4 > FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's
5 > got a decent hard drive (160GB).
6 >
7 > I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for
8 > getting the best performance out of such a machine. It's to be
9 > used for basic word processing and a few games. Hopefully the
10 > nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something
11 > like TuxRacer.
12 >
13 > I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and
14 > OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary
15 > package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it
16 > would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).
17
18 Fvwm is lightweight.
19
20 Make a point of compiling the kernel without anything
21 you don't need; if you might need something then make
22 it a module.
23
24 Don't run daemon's you don't really need. For example,
25 log into the command line and use "startx" or "xinit"
26 rather than having the thing boot into an X11 login.
27
28 Use a large amount of swap compared to ram (with your
29 drive maybe 2G) and avoid tmpfs for working storage.
30
31 If all you're using the thing for is surfing or basic
32 development then it should work fine. The old standard
33 for using X11 was a minimum 12MB of core and 40MB disk.
34 For a long time that was difficult, then IDE came along
35 and big disks got cheaper :-)
38 Steven Lembark 85-09 90th St.
39 Workhorse Computing Woodhaven, NY, 11421
40 lembark@×××××××.com +1 888 359 3508