From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Tips/Tricks for Gentoo on low-spec computer?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 16:46:40
1 I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old
2 machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron
3 Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. I'm using an nVidia PCI
4 FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's
5 got a decent hard drive (160GB).
6
7 I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for
8 getting the best performance out of such a machine. It's to be
9 used for basic word processing and a few games. Hopefully the
10 nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something
11 like TuxRacer.
12
13 I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and
14 OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary
15 package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it
16 would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).
19 Grant Edwards grante Yow! I just remembered
20 at something about a TOAD!
21 visi.com