From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips/Tricks for Gentoo on low-spec computer?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:41:25
1 On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old
3 > machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron
4 > Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. I'm using an nVidia PCI
5 > FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's
6 > got a decent hard drive (160GB).
7 >
8 > I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for
9 > getting the best performance out of such a machine. It's to be
10 > used for basic word processing and a few games. Hopefully the
11 > nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something
12 > like TuxRacer.
13 >
14 > I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and
15 > OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary
16 > package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it
17 > would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).
18 >
19 > --
20 > Grant Edwards grante Yow! I just remembered
21 > at something about a TOAD!
22 > visi.com
23
24 Grant,
25 We used to use a machine very similar to the one you discuss as a
26 Gentoo desktop machine. I built Gnome and it worked fine. I personally
27 like fluxbox which is a very light environment. Currently it's
28 operating as my main mythbackend server with two PVR cards in it.
29 Still going strong.
30
31 The one thing I would respectfully suggest is that you carefully
32 build your own portage overlay. My experience with Gentoo over the
33 last few years is that there is a _anxiousness_ in the portage
34 maintainer area to move newer revisions of software into portage
35 quickly and then just as quickly to remove from portage what users are
36 currently using. This forces folks to build more often and on a
37 machine like you are talking about that can be fairly painful. There's
38 no harm in masking higher revisions of software. The only issue I've
39 run into is eix-test-obsolete telling me I have something installed
40 that's no longer in portage. However with your own portage overlay I
41 beleive you could get beyond this.
42
43 I don't personally use the portage tools for building binary
44 backups of packages - and probably I should. You might look at that
45 also.
46
47 Good luck,
48 Mark