From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips/Tricks for Gentoo on low-spec computer?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:04:55
1 Am Dienstag, 20. Januar 2009 17:46:06 schrieb Grant Edwards:
2
3 > I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old
4 > machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron
5 > Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. I'm using an nVidia PCI
6 > FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's
7 > got a decent hard drive (160GB).
8 >
9 > I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for
10 > getting the best performance out of such a machine. It's to be
11 > used for basic word processing and a few games. Hopefully the
12 > nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something
13 > like TuxRacer.
14
15 Don't know if this is possible with portage, I switched to paludis a long time
16 ago. However, with paludis, one can setup several environments, each with a
17 different set of USE flags, CFLAGS, etc., where each will be installed into a
18 different root directory. Inside this root directory, everything looks like a
19 normal install.
20
21 So you could mount the complete filesystem tree of the slow machine on a
22 faster one (via NFS), compile everything on the fast machine and let it
23 install to /root_of_slow_box.
24
25 > I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and
26 > OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary
27 > package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it
28 > would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).
29
30 Hehe, I once did a "Linux from Scratch" install on my Amiga. Compiling GCC
31 took ages to complete, didn't even dare to think about something like OOo.
32
33 I always use FVWM on low power machines. It's quite fast and, with the crystal
34 theme, looks very nice.
35
36 HTH...
37