From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Tips/Tricks for Gentoo on low-spec computer?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:31:14
1 On 2009-01-20, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Don't know if this is possible with portage, I switched to
4 > paludis a long time ago. However, with paludis, one can setup
5 > several environments, each with a different set of USE flags,
6 > CFLAGS, etc., where each will be installed into a different
7 > root directory. Inside this root directory, everything looks
8 > like a normal install.
9 >
10 > So you could mount the complete filesystem tree of the slow
11 > machine on a faster one (via NFS), compile everything on the
12 > fast machine and let it install to /root_of_slow_box.
13
14 Thanks, that's an interesting option. Next time I go through
15 this exercise I'll give it a try.
16
17 >> I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and
18 >> OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary
19 >> package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it
20 >> would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).
21 >
22 > Hehe, I once did a "Linux from Scratch" install on my Amiga.
23 > Compiling GCC took ages to complete, didn't even dare to think
24 > about something like OOo.
25 >
26 > I always use FVWM on low power machines. It's quite fast and,
27 > with the crystal theme, looks very nice.
28
29 I used fvwm (and fvwm2) for many years (starting with a 25MHz
30 80486 with 8MB of RAM) before switching to XFCE 5-6 years ago.
31 About 10 years ago I configured a couple manufacturing test
32 stations with fvwm95 so that they would be comfortable for
33 people who normally used MS Windows. I think a couple of the
34 users never even realized it was Linux.
35
36 There was something in particular that prompted my change from
37 fvwm2 to XFCE, but I can't remember what it was...
40 Grant Edwards grante Yow! RHAPSODY in Glue!
41 at
42 visi.com