From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips/Tricks for Gentoo on low-spec computer?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:09:33
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old
3 > machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron
4 > Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. I'm using an nVidia PCI
5 > FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's
6 > got a decent hard drive (160GB).
7 >
8 > I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for
9 > getting the best performance out of such a machine. It's to be
10 > used for basic word processing and a few games. Hopefully the
11 > nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something
12 > like TuxRacer.
13 >
14 > I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and
15 > OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary
16 > package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it
17 > would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).
20 I usually just pull the drive and put it in a faster computer. Build the
21 OS with conservative CFLAGs and swap the drive back when done. I've
22 rarely had issues with this.
23
24 kashani