From: Toby Cubitt <tsc25@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kde-3.4.0/3.4.1 mess
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 23:58:14
1 On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 02:41:11PM -0700, Robert Persson wrote:
2 > A couple of weeks ago I added all the kde-3.4.1 packages to package.keywords
3 > and then ran emerge -u world and everything updated and ran fine.
4 >
5 > Today I tried to emerge -u world and I got
6 >
7 > [blocks B ] =kde-base/kdeartwork-icewm-themes-3.4* (is blocking
8 > kde-base/kdeartwork-3.4.1)
9 > ... blah blah blah ...
10 > [blocks B ] =kde-base/renamedlg-images-3.4* (is blocking
11 > kde-base/kdeaddons-3.4.1)
12 >
13 > for about 150 kde packages altogether.
14 >
15 > equery tells me that I have version 3.4.1 of each individual kde package
16 > installed, but that I have version 3.4.0 of kde itself and that I don't have
17 > kdeartwork, kdeaddons, kdebase etc. installed.
18 >
19 > How did I get in this mess and how (without recompiling all of kde) do I get
20 > out of it?
21
22 I had a similar problem with upgrading when 3.4 was unmasked. The problem is
23 moving from the old monolithic ebuilds to the new split ones. I believe it's
24 because you are trying to install both split and unsplit ebuilds that provide
25 some of the same programs.
26
27 My solution to sort out the mess was to unmerge all the monolithic kde
28 ebuilds, and then emerge the stuff I wanted (kdebase-startkde is the split
29 ebuild that provides the basic stuff like the window manager, though even that
30 isn't necessary if you only want to run some kde apps and not the full
31 kaboodle).
32
33 It sounds like you might already have the new split ebuilds installed, so you
34 might just need to remove the monolithic ones from your world file, or
35 possibly unmerge them if they're still around. Of course, that assumes you
36 want to use the split ebuilds.
37
38 If you haven't read it already, the How-To at
39
40 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Update_KDE_3.3_to_KDE_3.4
41
42 is helpful. A bit of research with the online package database to work out
43 which ebuilds are the split ones, which the monolithic ones, and which ones
44 you actually want should sort you out.
45
46 Toby Cubitt
47 --
48 Quantum Information Theory group
49 Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics
50 Garching, Germany
51
52 email: toby@××××××××.org
53 web: www.dr-qubit.org