From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why do we add the local host name to the 127.0.0.1 / ::1 entry in the /etc/hosts file?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 17:01:39
1 On 3/10/21 9:00 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > My undocumented (and unsupported by data) opinion is that this
3 > localhost thing has been around a long, long time - possibly longer
4 > than Linux for all I know. Check out
5
6 Yes, very much so.
7
8 TL;DR: The "localhost" name is a shortcut to say this host that I'm on
9 without worrying what the actual host name is or that said name is
10 configured to resolve to an IP on this system.
11
12 The localhost concept goes back a LONG way in TCP/IP. I think that it
13 even pre-dates TCP/IP, via the NCP protocol.
18 Grant. . . .
19 unix || die