From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why do we add the local host name to the 127.0.0.1 / ::1 entry in the /etc/hosts file?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 16:00:39
1 <SNIP>
2
3 > mark@science:~$ cat /etc/hosts
4 > 127.0.0.1 localhost
5 > 127.0.1.1 science
6 >
7 <SNIP>
8 <SNIP
9 I think this is relevant to DNS resolution of/with domain controllers and
10 may
11 depend on the AD/DC topology. The idea is to use the LAN address of the box
12 as the first address in /etc/hosts and use 127.0.0.1 as the second address
13 in
14 the file. If more AD/DNS servers exist in the network, then 127.0.0.1 could
15 be even further down the list.
16
17 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/ff807362(v=ws.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN
18
19 I haven't over-thought this and there may be more to it, but on a pure linux
20 environment I expect this would not be a requirement, hence the handbook
21 approach.
22 <SNIP>
23
24 It could very well be but I have vague memories when I first started
25 getting
26 interested in Linux, circa 1996-97 with Redhat, that I would buy books that
27 liberally sprinkled http://localhost or ping localhost sorts of lines in
28 the text and
29 examples.
30
31 My undocumented (and unsupported by data) opinion is that this localhost
32 thing has been around a long, long time - possibly longer than Linux for
33 all I know. Check out
34
35 http://acme.com
36
37 I have no real admin experience with any version of Windows. Even though
38 I wrote, published and made a tiny bit of money selling a Windows program
39 written in Turbo Pascal in those days I didn't even have networking.
40 Everything
41 was passed around on floppies.