From: alex stone <compose59@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: really old box for a firewall
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:05:28
1 Thanks fellas.
2 I'm D/L the knoppix as i write, and we'll see what happens.
3
4 Alex.
5
6 On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 5:43 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 > alex stone <compose59 <at> gmail.com> writes:
10 >> So with that in mind, i have an interest in turning a very old box i
11 >> have here (pentium-mmx) into a firewall/router.
14 > Ah, I do this all the time.
17 > Use knoppix to boot your target mmx system into a viable linux.
18 > Follow the handbook and get the system so you can ssh into it.
19 > Run 'lspci' and note what hardware you have, for building a
20 > kernel later on.
21 >
22 > Once you go chroot and grab the tarballs
23 >
24 > (Code Listing 2.5: Unpacking the stage
25 > # tar xvjpf stage3-*.tar.bz2 )
26 >
27 > and
28 >
29 > (Code Listing 3.4: Extracting the Portage snapshot
30 > # tar xvjf /mnt/gentoo/portage-latest.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr)
33 > Continue to follow the handbook.
36 > It's kind of funky, but, gentoo does not really support
37 > it's own install media anymore. I think it's
38 > some sort of test, to see how thick your
39 > skin is.....
43 > Understand that we now have "autobuilds" but the docs
44 > have not been updated to reflect those changes yet.
45 >
46 > hth,
49 > James
59 Parchment Studios (It started as a joke...)