From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] thin-provisioning-tools - but I don't provision anything!!!!!
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 16:22:34
1 On 16/09/17 06:57, Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > Am Freitag, 15. September 2017, 19:56:54 CEST schrieb Andrew Lowe:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >> I posted about a nasty infection my machine had with three versions of
5 >> Ruby a few days ago. In the process of trying to fix that I noticed a
6 >> thingy called "thin-provisioning-tools". I don't have anything thin and
7 >> I don't provision anything so why I ask?
8 >>
9 >> From what I've been able to understand, it's something to do with
10 >> Device Mapper, snapshots and "many virtual devices to be stored on the
11 >> same data volume". This is all just jibberish to me and I have no idea
12 >> as to why this has suddenly appeared in my world update. I haven't asked
13 >> for it. I don't use any of the "more advanced" thingies such as lvm2 etc
14 >> so does anyone have any idea as to why I've now go this to install?
15 >>
16 >> Back to Ruby killing now,
17 >> Andrew
18 >
19 > Based on what I've researched for the other sub-thread, since you don't
20 > actually use LVM, then -- unless you set the wrong USE flags -- you probably
21 > have udisks:0 installed (it has an unconditional dependency on lvm2). Use
22 > "emerge --depclean -pv lvm2" to find out for sure.
23 >
24 > If it is udisks:0, then AFAICT you can get rid of it with appropriate USE flag
25 > settings ("equery depends" is your friend here).
26 >
27 > HTH
30 I think I eventually tracked the problem down to installing
31 sys-fs/cryptsetup ages ago and subsequently doing nothing with it, hence
32 out of sight, out of mind. It brought in lvm2, which once again I don't
33 use, but out of sight, out of mind, which brought in
34 thin-provisioning-tools.
35
36 Just at the moment with my 3 versions of Ruby and KDE doing a large
37 upgrade, I was swamped with "info" so it took a bit to find my way
38 around this stuff and find the appropriate flags to set/unset.
39
40 Thanks to those who provided thoughts,
41
42 Andrew