From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] thin-provisioning-tools - but I don't provision anything!!!!!
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 22:58:07
1 Am Freitag, 15. September 2017, 19:56:54 CEST schrieb Andrew Lowe:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I posted about a nasty infection my machine had with three versions of
4 > Ruby a few days ago. In the process of trying to fix that I noticed a
5 > thingy called "thin-provisioning-tools". I don't have anything thin and
6 > I don't provision anything so why I ask?
7 >
8 > From what I've been able to understand, it's something to do with
9 > Device Mapper, snapshots and "many virtual devices to be stored on the
10 > same data volume". This is all just jibberish to me and I have no idea
11 > as to why this has suddenly appeared in my world update. I haven't asked
12 > for it. I don't use any of the "more advanced" thingies such as lvm2 etc
13 > so does anyone have any idea as to why I've now go this to install?
14 >
15 > Back to Ruby killing now,
16 > Andrew
17
18 Based on what I've researched for the other sub-thread, since you don't
19 actually use LVM, then -- unless you set the wrong USE flags -- you probably
20 have udisks:0 installed (it has an unconditional dependency on lvm2). Use
21 "emerge --depclean -pv lvm2" to find out for sure.
22
23 If it is udisks:0, then AFAICT you can get rid of it with appropriate USE flag
24 settings ("equery depends" is your friend here).
25
26 HTH
27 --
28 Marc Joliet
29 --
30 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
31 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup