From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Localmount starts before LVM
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 15:47:46
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:28:37 +0530
3 > Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Exactly the reason why I wanted RAID0 and LVM in combination: more
5 >> IOPS. ZFS looks very interesting, how stable is it?
6 >
7 > On Linux, not at all (it doesn't exist there except using fuse)
8 >
9 > On FreeBSD, rock solid.
10 > On Solaris, rock solid.
11 >
12 > It almost seems to be everything btrfs is not...
13
14 The details why this is the case are something I can never remember
15 straight in my head, but I recall that it's due to licensing that ZFS
16 cannot be included in the Linux kernel directly. I think it might be
17 because the ZFS license doesn't have the Copyleft clause that the GPL
18 requires?
19
20 It's sad, because ZFS is really pretty great. I think btrfs will be
21 pretty great too once it is stabilized, so I look forward to that.
22
23 Also, I had seen some kernel patches that you can apply yourself to get
24 ZFS in Linux without FUSE a year or two back. I never tried them, and
25 can't attest to how stable or unstable they might be, but you could look
26 into that as well.
29 R