From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Changing dependencies without upping version ??
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 08:42:30
1 On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 18:30:33 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2
3 > I do so already, and in fact my initial workaround was to fork the
4 > ebuild in my repo, pretty much like you recommend.
5 >
6 > But I didn't know that this was the official way of stopping upgrades.
7 > I thought package.mask was that, and I think that's what the Handbook
8 > (or maybe some other part of the wiki) recommends.
9
10 This is Gentoo, "official" is a moving target. package.mask is good for
11 preventing upgrade to a specific version, but it can't be used to block
12 all updates on its own because eventually the older versions will be
13 treecleaned. That's why you need to keep them n a local overlay, and be
14 prepared to deal with any breakage they may introduce.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 This tagline is baroque; please call Bach.