From: roundyz@×××××××.ru
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:19:25
1 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2
3 >> Hi, Iain,
4 >>
5 >> On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 09:09:14AM +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
6 >> > On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 22:20 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
7 >> > [snip to the crux:]
8 >> > > Can this new-style fragmented XML configuration do anything that a
9 >> > > good old-fashioned, human-readable and compact xorg.conf can't? If
10 >> > > so, what? What am I missing here?
11 >>
12 >> > presumably you're missing the previous conversation on this topic:
13 >> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/225223/focus=225223
14 >>
15 >> Yes, indeed. I've read up about half of it now. Have I understood
16 >> correctly, that if I carry on with this HAL, I need to use a heavyweight
17 >> window manager (such as Gnome) to be able to configure things with?
18 >>
19 >> I "use" Gnome at the moment with an old Debian system, but that "use" is
20 >> basically confined to starting Firefox and sometimes xpdf, and
21 >> occasionally gimp, and switching between windows. So I'm looking to use
22 >> a less bloated WM now. I haven't decided which, yet, either xfce or
23 >> ratpoison, or maybe something in between. Sometime I'd like to try
24 >> xmonad, because Haskell is such a sweet language.
25 >>
26 >> > > Please, somebody, tell me all this HAL stuff is straightforwardly
27 >> > > explained in an easily accessible Gentoo document, so that I can hang
28 >> > > my head in shame and apologise for the noise! ;-)
29 >>
30 >> > isn't it just done for you?
31 >>
32 >> I don't know. It (i.e. startx) didn't work at all until I emerged xterm.
33 >> Now it starts with 3 working xterms with focus-follows-mouse. I suppose
34 >> that counts as "working".
37 This is the failsafe. I thinks is twm.
38
39 >> > $ slocate 10-input-policy.fdi
40 >> > /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-input-policy.fdi
41 >>
42 >> > iain@orpheus ~ $ equery belongs /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-input-policy.fdi
43 >> > * Searching for /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-input-policy.fdi ...
44 >> > sys-apps/hal-0.5.14-r2 (/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-input-policy.fdi)
45 >>
46 >> > so why are you copying these files by hand?
47 >>
48 >> Because the fine manual "The X Server Configuration HOWTO" encouraged me
49 >> to do so: "Just find a few that suit your needs most closely and copy
50 >> them ...."; "Just copy the ones you need, and edit them once they're
51 >> placed in the proper /etc location.".
52 >>
53 >> Actually I hadn't got around to copying them. I was fuming at the
54 >> vagueness of the instructions, and the vagueness of everything else to do
55 >> with HAL. I've a lot of sympathy with David Bowman. ;-)
56 >>
57 >> So, is there any documentation in Gentoo for configuring HAL?
58 >>
59 >> > --
60 >> > Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>
61 >>
62 >> --
63 >> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
67 You don't need a heavy wm to use hal with xorg. I use blackbox and my
68 hal works a treat, the only thing I have in my xorg is my video settings
69 because my monitor is a twat and has forgotten it's own mode lines (or
70 it won't tell my gcard).
71
72 Blackbox is super and lightweight.
73
74 The fdi files should be copied over to /etc and reconfigured, the ones
75 in /usr should remain.
76
77 If you have every configured xorg by hand before, the xml syntax in the
78 fdi files are quite easy to get to grips with, like key=lvalue and type
79 is the type of data the lvalue will point to, the part inbetween the
80 tags is the value.
81
82 <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">gb</merge>
83
84 So this says insert into my xorg keyboards section the lvalue layout and
85 its value is "GB", easy, huh?
86 --
87 Regards,
88 Roundyz