From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 13:03:34
1 Hi, Iain,
2
3 On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 09:09:14AM +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
4 > On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 22:20 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > [snip to the crux:]
6 > > Can this new-style fragmented XML configuration do anything that a
7 > > good old-fashioned, human-readable and compact xorg.conf can't? If
8 > > so, what? What am I missing here?
9
10 > presumably you're missing the previous conversation on this topic:
11 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/225223/focus=225223
12
13 Yes, indeed. I've read up about half of it now. Have I understood
14 correctly, that if I carry on with this HAL, I need to use a heavyweight
15 window manager (such as Gnome) to be able to configure things with?
16
17 I "use" Gnome at the moment with an old Debian system, but that "use" is
18 basically confined to starting Firefox and sometimes xpdf, and
19 occasionally gimp, and switching between windows. So I'm looking to use
20 a less bloated WM now. I haven't decided which, yet, either xfce or
21 ratpoison, or maybe something in between. Sometime I'd like to try
22 xmonad, because Haskell is such a sweet language.
23
24 > > Please, somebody, tell me all this HAL stuff is straightforwardly
25 > > explained in an easily accessible Gentoo document, so that I can hang
26 > > my head in shame and apologise for the noise! ;-)
27
28 > isn't it just done for you?
29
30 I don't know. It (i.e. startx) didn't work at all until I emerged xterm.
31 Now it starts with 3 working xterms with focus-follows-mouse. I suppose
32 that counts as "working".
33
34 > $ slocate 10-input-policy.fdi
35 > /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-input-policy.fdi
36
37 > iain@orpheus ~ $ equery belongs /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-input-policy.fdi
38 > * Searching for /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-input-policy.fdi ...
39 > sys-apps/hal-0.5.14-r2 (/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-input-policy.fdi)
40
41 > so why are you copying these files by hand?
42
43 Because the fine manual "The X Server Configuration HOWTO" encouraged me
44 to do so: "Just find a few that suit your needs most closely and copy
45 them ...."; "Just copy the ones you need, and edit them once they're
46 placed in the proper /etc location.".
47
48 Actually I hadn't got around to copying them. I was fuming at the
49 vagueness of the instructions, and the vagueness of everything else to do
50 with HAL. I've a lot of sympathy with David Bowman. ;-)
51
52 So, is there any documentation in Gentoo for configuring HAL?
53
54 > --
55 > Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>
58 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).