From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 18:07:31
1 On 24 April 2013, at 18:53, Michael Hampicke wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> Your system must be more complex than I'm imagining, because I see this obvious answer of a bash script which loops through /home/*, runs `du` or `df` and sends an email to anyone who's consuming more than 90%. Obviously this needs to be adapted to circumstance.
4 >
5 > That only works on small systems. I have systems here where a 'du' on
6 > /home would take hours and produce massive IO wait, because there's so
7 > much data in there.
8
9 Of course. Excuse me.
10
11 My original idea was in respect of the previous respondent's desire to offer hard limits of a gigabyte - allocating each user a partition and running `du`, which returns immediately, on it.
12
13 I don't understand how a hard limit could be enforced if it's impractical to assess the size of used data.
14
15 Stroller.