From: Michael Hampicke <mh@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 17:53:11
1 Am 24.04.2013 19:38, schrieb Stroller:
2 >
3 > On 24 April 2013, at 11:16, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>> ...
5 >>> Volume size so far fits my needs just fine, but that's because I've
6 >>> never needed quotas as such. I find quotas too inflexible anyway, it's a
7 >>> case of forcing a simplistic hardware rule into the human space and that
8 >>> never really solves the problem properly.
9 >>
10 >> Sometimes a simplistic rule is what's needed. If you are selling off-site
11 >> storage in 1GB chunks, you need to stop people using more than they have
12 >> paid for. Hard quotas do this, soft quotas let you warn them first,
13 >> before things get broken.
14 >
15 > I'm unclear how this warning would be addressed.
16 >
17 > Your system must be more complex than I'm imagining, because I see this obvious answer of a bash script which loops through /home/*, runs `du` or `df` and sends an email to anyone who's consuming more than 90%. Obviously this needs to be adapted to circumstance.
20 That only works on small systems. I have systems here where a 'du' on
21 /home would take hours and produce massive IO wait, because there's so
22 much data in there.