From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [wildly OT]advice for a wireless antenna?
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 14:14:06
1 On 2008-05-12, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >> A curiosity: by itself, the Hawking USB adapter has more or
4 >> less sensitivity than the simple Airport glued to my Macbook
5 >> motherboard?
6 >
7 > I think it depends a lot on the maturity of the drivers. As I
8 > said, my Netgear PCI card uses the madwifi drivers and vastly
9 > outperforms the Hawking adapter.
10
11 What do you mean by "outperform"? I can see how drivers can
12 affect throughput. The Windows drivers for my Laptop's WiFi
13 chipset (Intel Pro-something) only get about 1/4 of the
14 bandwidth that the Linux drivers do.
15
16 But, I don't understand how the driver can affect receiver
17 sensitivity. That's purely a function of the design of the RF
18 frontend.
19
20 > The Hawking's drivers are fairly new (rt2x00) and madwifi has
21 > been around for quite a while now.
22 >
23 > I do have another rt2x00 adapter that performs noticeably
24 > worse than the Hawking. It's a Linksys and it has no external
25 > antenna.
28 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Zippy's brain cells
29 at are straining to bridge
30 visi.com synapses ...
33 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list