From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [wildly OT]advice for a wireless antenna?
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:03:31
1 On Monday 12 May 2008, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2008-05-12, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >> A curiosity: by itself, the Hawking USB adapter has more or
4 > >> less sensitivity than the simple Airport glued to my Macbook
5 > >> motherboard?
6 > >
7 > > I think it depends a lot on the maturity of the drivers. As I
8 > > said, my Netgear PCI card uses the madwifi drivers and vastly
9 > > outperforms the Hawking adapter.
10 >
11 > What do you mean by "outperform"? I can see how drivers can
12 > affect throughput. The Windows drivers for my Laptop's WiFi
13 > chipset (Intel Pro-something) only get about 1/4 of the
14 > bandwidth that the Linux drivers do.
15 >
16 > But, I don't understand how the driver can affect receiver
17 > sensitivity. That's purely a function of the design of the RF
18 > frontend.
19
20 As modified by the firmware in the device. OK, it's not the driver per
21 se, but it's certainly not the hardware either
26 Alan McKinnon
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list