From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [wildly OT]advice for a wireless antenna?
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:10:23
1 On 2008-05-12, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >> What do you mean by "outperform"? I can see how drivers can
4 >> affect throughput. The Windows drivers for my Laptop's WiFi
5 >> chipset (Intel Pro-something) only get about 1/4 of the
6 >> bandwidth that the Linux drivers do.
7 >>
8 >> But, I don't understand how the driver can affect receiver
9 >> sensitivity. That's purely a function of the design of the RF
10 >> frontend.
11 >
12 > As modified by the firmware in the device. OK, it's not the
13 > driver per se, but it's certainly not the hardware either
14
15 Sorry, I don't see how firmware can affect sensitivity. I've
16 been involved in writing firmware for RF data communications
17 stuff for a long time, and I've certainly never been able to
18 affect sensitivity.
21 Grant Edwards grante Yow! I just remembered
22 at something about a TOAD!
23 visi.com
26 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list