From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [wildly OT]advice for a wireless antenna?
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:09:34
1 > >> What do you mean by "outperform"? I can see how drivers can
2 > >> affect throughput. The Windows drivers for my Laptop's WiFi
3 > >> chipset (Intel Pro-something) only get about 1/4 of the
4 > >> bandwidth that the Linux drivers do.
5 > >>
6 > >> But, I don't understand how the driver can affect receiver
7 > >> sensitivity. That's purely a function of the design of the RF
8 > >> frontend.
9 > >
10 > > As modified by the firmware in the device. OK, it's not the
11 > > driver per se, but it's certainly not the hardware either
12 >
13 > Sorry, I don't see how firmware can affect sensitivity. I've
14 > been involved in writing firmware for RF data communications
15 > stuff for a long time, and I've certainly never been able to
16 > affect sensitivity.
17
18 I can say that I was really struggling to get a reliable wireless
19 connection with the rt2x00 device and Hawking external antenna
20 anywhere in my garage. I tried the madwifi device attached to the
21 same Hawking antenna and the difference was ridiculous. I got a
22 perfectly reliable signal from the back of the garage, the point
23 furthest from the signal's source.
24
25 Now that I think about it, I could have enabled outdoor mode for
26 madwifi, but I can't check it right now. Could that account for the
27 difference?
28
29 - Grant
30 --