From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiple Update Issues - what order should things be done?
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 18:39:37
1 On 2010-03-06 1:53 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 06 March 2010 01:30:38 Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> So, again, does anyone know if the new version of lvm2 (with
4 >> integrated device-mapper) will work ok on the 2.6.23 kernel, or is
5 >> there a minimum version required?
6
7 > Again, this is in the ebuild. You can ignore most of the weird
8 > details and look for important stuff. Dependencies are in DEPEND, and
9 > in the case of the latest lvm2, the only important limits are:
10 >
11 > !!sys-fs/device-mapper
12 >> =sys-apps/util-linux-2.16
13
14 Ok, good, I'm at 2.16.2 - and I guess they're not so scary as I
15 remembered. I come from a Windows background, and I'm really enjoying
16 learning linux, but still get a little intimidated sometimes. Next time
17 I'll look first then ask only if I can't answer it for myself.
18
19 Thanks for not taking my jab personally...
20
21 > These are userspace tools so it's safe, you won't lose data or
22 > functionality as long as you don't reboot in the middle.
23
24 That's what I'd been able to glean from googling, but nothing really
25 came out and just said it like that - so thanks.
26
27 > You were talking about switching compilers then rebooting. There's
28 > no requirement for a reboot in that step.
29
30 I know, but in the parentheses I also said that after the switch I would
31 rebuild world (and by implication the kernel) - and *that* is what I was
32 worried about wrt rebooting - running on a kernel (in memory) that was
33 compiled with a different version of the one (on disk).
34
35 > Once you have successfully updated the box and it's kernel, then
36 > reboot it to load the new kernel, but you can do that step whenever
37 > you are ready.
38
39 Got it...
40
41 >> I was already leaning toward the kernel upgrade first as being the
42 >> safest solution (then fix lvm2, then switch compilers, update everything
43 >> else, then rebuild world), but I have to justify it to the boss, which
44 >> is why I asked in the first place...
45
46 > I suspect your kernel/compiler/lvm upgrad will be smooth and trouble-free.
47
48 Me too, but like I said, I like to ask first - I've been bitten before
49 by not asking simple questions prior to doing something that I *thought*
50 should go ok, but had I asked the question, I'd have discovered the
51 simple thing I should have done to avoid a real hassle...
52
53 > If the box is old, and you have to switch to openrc/baselayout2,
54 > that's where your troubles are going to happen.
55
56 Ok, this is an older install, and I've been pretty good (until now)
57 about keeping it pretty much up to date. gcc-4.3.4 only went stable on
58 amd64 4-5 months ago and I don't usually wait this long to switch to it
59 and rebuild world (I usually wait 1-2 months)...
60
61 Baselayout2 is still not stable, so, yes, I'm still on baselayout1, and
62 now you've gone and made me nervous again. ;)
63
64 Are you suggesting I should already be using it??
65
66 > This is a deep change that touches many things with lots of configs
67 > being updated and things moving around.
68
69 Ok, where is the best place to go to start reading/learning about how to
70 prep for it?
71
72 > What version of those packages are you running, and what do you plan
73 > to upgrade to, if at all?
74
75 I certainly was not planning on updating to an unstable baselayout - why
76 should I? I keep all critical system files at stable (gcc, baselayout,
77 kernel, lvm, etc), and only occasionally run unstable/testing versions
78 of apps like postfix, dovecot, etc if I want/need to...
79
80 Now my main concern is, how long after baselayout2 goes stable before
81 this become a real problem for systems still on baselayout1?
82
83 Thanks again Andrew for your time and responses, its appreciated.
87 Charles