From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiple Update Issues - what order should things be done?
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 18:20:33
1 On Saturday 06 March 2010 20:39:05 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2010-03-06 1:53 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 06 March 2010 01:30:38 Tanstaafl wrote:
4 > >> So, again, does anyone know if the new version of lvm2 (with
5 > >> integrated device-mapper) will work ok on the 2.6.23 kernel, or is
6 > >> there a minimum version required?
7 > >
8 > > Again, this is in the ebuild. You can ignore most of the weird
9 > > details and look for important stuff. Dependencies are in DEPEND, and
10 > > in the case of the latest lvm2, the only important limits are:
11 > >
12 > > !!sys-fs/device-mapper
13 > >
14 > >> =sys-apps/util-linux-2.16
15 >
16 > Ok, good, I'm at 2.16.2 - and I guess they're not so scary as I
17 > remembered. I come from a Windows background, and I'm really enjoying
18 > learning linux, but still get a little intimidated sometimes. Next time
19 > I'll look first then ask only if I can't answer it for myself.
20
21 Most of the stuff in ebuilds makes sense, it usually means what you think when
22 you look at it.
23
24 > Thanks for not taking my jab personally...
25
26 No problem, no offense taken. If you work in Unix, you get to grow a thick
27 skin real quick :-)
28
29 [snip]
30
31 > > If the box is old, and you have to switch to openrc/baselayout2,
32 > > that's where your troubles are going to happen.
33 >
34 > Ok, this is an older install, and I've been pretty good (until now)
35 > about keeping it pretty much up to date. gcc-4.3.4 only went stable on
36 > amd64 4-5 months ago and I don't usually wait this long to switch to it
37 > and rebuild world (I usually wait 1-2 months)...
38 >
39 > Baselayout2 is still not stable, so, yes, I'm still on baselayout1, and
40 > now you've gone and made me nervous again. ;)
41 >
42 > Are you suggesting I should already be using it??
43
44 You are going to have to switch sometime, the day will come when baselayout-2
45 goes stable. Seeing as you plan a large update anyway, which will have
46 downtime, this would be an ideal opportunity.
47
48 However, the update is deep and you will be marking a lot of things unstable
49 if you do. On a production machine you might not want to do that. Only you can
50 say if it's a step you are willing to take. On the plus side, baselayout-1
51 will still work for a very long time to come.
52
53 When the time to change comes around, set aside an hour or two for the job.
54 It's not a complex change, but many files need to be updated, there's all
55 sorts of things in /etc/rc.conf and /etc/conf.d that must be re-organized and
56 you will want to double check all affected packages.
57
58 Like I said, it's not complex, and it won't cause you to meet your maker.
59 Everything is well documented, but it is lengthy and tedious and you want to
60 finish it all in one sitting - if for no other reason than if you come back to
61 it later, you won't remember how far you got :-)
64 > > This is a deep change that touches many things with lots of configs
65 > > being updated and things moving around.
66 >
67 > Ok, where is the best place to go to start reading/learning about how to
68 > prep for it?
69
70 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
74 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com