From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiple Update Issues - what order should things be done?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 12:45:27
1 On 2010-03-07 1:17 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 06 March 2010 20:39:05 Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> Baselayout2 is still not stable, so, yes, I'm still on baselayout1,
4 >> and now you've gone and made me nervous again. ;)
5 >>
6 >> Are you suggesting I should already be using it??
7
8 > You are going to have to switch sometime, the day will come when
9 > baselayout-2 goes stable.
10
11 Any idea how far away this might be? Are we talking a year or more?
12
13 > Seeing as you plan a large update anyway, which will have downtime,
14 > this would be an ideal opportunity.
15
16 Well, I here you, but I'm of the old school, and for production systems,
17 prefer not to change critical system stuff like this unless/until it
18 goes stable.
19
20 > However, the update is deep and you will be marking a lot of things
21 > unstable if you do. On a production machine you might not want to do
22 > that. Only you can say if it's a step you are willing to take. On
23 > the plus side, baselayout-1 will still work for a very long time to
24 > come.
25
26 Ok, good, in that case I'll wait, because we are planning on rolling out
27 a new server sometime in the next year or two, and we'll be installing
28 from scratch.
29
30 > When the time to change comes around, set aside an hour or two for
31 > the job. It's not a complex change, but many files need to be
32 > updated, there's all sorts of things in /etc/rc.conf and /etc/conf.d
33 > that must be re-organized and you will want to double check all
34 > affected packages.
35 >
36 > Like I said, it's not complex, and it won't cause you to meet your
37 > maker. Everything is well documented, but it is lengthy and tedious
38 > and you want to finish it all in one sitting - if for no other reason
39 > than if you come back to it later, you won't remember how far you got
40 > :-)
41
42 Gotcha... I'm feeling much better now... ;)
43
44 >> Ok, where is the best place to go to start reading/learning about
45 >> how to prep for it?
46
47 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
48
49 Ok, I'd already found that, so thanks for confirming I'm in the right
50 place. And thanks again for all the helpful comments... :)
54 Charles