From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Network scanner
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 07:35:56
1 On Friday 24 Feb 2017 16:05:13 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2017-02-24 23:46, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Well, I'm not here to fix every problem you encounter and judging by
4 > > the sheer amount of posting you make and the level of content, I have
5 > > to conclude that you are assuming we are.
6 > >
7 > > What steps have YOU taken to try figure this out and actually help
8 > > yourself? Saying that you installed an rpm on a Gentoo machine and
9 > > stuff don't work, what's wrong? is not the expected level of
10 > > troubleshooting.
11 > >
12 > > I think you should google for "How to ask smart questions" by Eric S.
13 > > Raymond
14 >
15 > Hi Alan,
16 >
17 > I would give Thelma a break; a couple of times she found the solution
18 > subsequent to posting. Thus, I believe the size of her output is more
19 > due to extra chattiness than to sloth :-)
20 >
21 > This happens to me too sometimes, and I think practice helped me to
22 > improve in this respect, so I think it will help others too.
23
24 Good point, often preparing to ask a question helps solve it, or at least
25 helps focus on what is most likely to be the problem.
26
27 Back on topic, I always held the view that one should not mix and match
28 package managers on the same system, as they may end up stepping on each
29 other's toes. So, I thought emerge and rpm don't go together. Is this not
30 the case?
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick