From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Network scanner
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 08:26:06
1 On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 07:35:43 +0000, Mick wrote:
2
3 > Back on topic, I always held the view that one should not mix and match
4 > package managers on the same system, as they may end up stepping on
5 > each other's toes. So, I thought emerge and rpm don't go together. Is
6 > this not the case?
7
8 Using another package manager is no worse than installing from source,
9 either way you are installing software without the knowledge of portage.
10 A better solution is to look for an ebuild on Bugzilla, which probably
11 ends up installing the same files but now portage knows about that.
12
13 There's even an rpm eclass for such ebuilds to call on when software is
14 only available as an RPM package.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.