From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Network scanner
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 08:46:31
1 On Saturday 25 Feb 2017 08:25:43 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 07:35:43 +0000, Mick wrote:
3 > > Back on topic, I always held the view that one should not mix and match
4 > > package managers on the same system, as they may end up stepping on
5 > > each other's toes. So, I thought emerge and rpm don't go together. Is
6 > > this not the case?
7 >
8 > Using another package manager is no worse than installing from source,
9 > either way you are installing software without the knowledge of portage.
10 > A better solution is to look for an ebuild on Bugzilla, which probably
11 > ends up installing the same files but now portage knows about that.
12 >
13 > There's even an rpm eclass for such ebuilds to call on when software is
14 > only available as an RPM package.
15
16 Yes, this is my understanding too. Thanks for confirming.
17 --
18 Regards,
19 Mick