From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 03:03:14
1 On 5 Feb 2009, at 23:03, Saphirus Sage wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> Man pages are notoriously bad. The gentoo handbook and other official
4 >> docs are great OTOH.
7 > Man pages notoriously bad?! Now that's a stance I can hardly
8 > understand,
9 > they've always been a godsend in my experience! Just practice using a
10 > command a few times, look through the options and learn it in the
11 > period
12 > of ten minutes, and a man page has done its purpose. If this stance is
13 > due to your own inadequate ability to read technical documents, then
14 > do
15 > not apply the lacking to anything but your own capacity for
16 > comprehension.
17
18 To be fair there is an "art" to reading manpages.
19
20 Manpages tend to be terse yet authoritative, but it was only after
21 (perhaps) a couple of years of using Unix (and perhaps longer) that I
22 learned to appreciate them.
23
24 I think manpages tend to assume that the reader is already proficient
25 with Unix and often that the reader is familiar with regular
26 expressions. They tend to use the academic language of computer
27 science which may be completely baffling to someone who is technically
28 & logically very competent but self-taught.
29
30 My experience is that only after learning the syntax of manpages (is
31 that itself documented?) do I find most of them tremendously easy to
32 navigate to find the one specific option I'm looking for.
33
34 Stroller.