From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best method for automounting...
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:25:58
1 On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:41:55 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:
2
3 > However, what I'm getting ready to do is to deploy a number of
4 > kde/gentoo desktops that will need to automount an occasional data cd
5 > or cf card and I was looking for an easier way of managing it all.
6
7 I've found KDE's own system, using HAL, D-BUS and pmount to be excellent.
8
9 > Anyway, I've looked into using hal,dbus and "media:/" in konqueror...
10 > It works to a degree, but the hal daemon has a nasty habit of polling
11 > the cd card/pcmcia to such a degree that autofs won't unmount the then
12 > when you're done...
13
14 That's probably because you're running two automounters, which are
15 conflicting. You don't need autofs, and probably should not run it, when
16 using KDE's system.
17
18 The KDE system is also more flexible in that you can specify default or
19 automatic actions for different types of media; open a file manager
20 window for a USB stick, run Kaffeine for a video DVD etc.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.