From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Best method for automounting...
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 03:48:24
1 It seems as though there's a couple of different way to support automounting
2 drives and shares and I was wondering what you guys thought was the best
3 method.
4
5 Currently, I'm using autofs to handle all my personal needs for cds, dvd
6 compact cards and an occasional usb stick or two. No problems and I'm a happy
7 camper.
8
9 However, what I'm getting ready to do is to deploy a number of kde/gentoo
10 desktops that will need to automount an occasional data cd or cf card and I
11 was looking for an easier way of managing it all. What I'd rather do is
12 discover a broader approach for supporting plugable media, without having be
13 be present to "set it all up" as in autofs. The mentioned desktops aren't all
14 going to have the same hardware...
15
16 Anyway, I've looked into using hal,dbus and "media:/" in konqueror... It works
17 to a degree, but the hal daemon has a nasty habit of polling the cd
18 card/pcmcia to such a degree that autofs won't unmount the then when you're
19 done...
20
21 Using a udev only approach is a lot like working/seting up autofs... you gotta
22 be there to support something new when it comes up... Not what I want.
23
24 Has anyone figured out a reasonable approach for auto mount/unmount for
25 removeable media that's as "hands off" as possible?
28 Thanks, in advance.
32 What I find with autofs, hal constantly polls any cf card that I plugin and
33 subsequently does not auto-unmout
41 Jerry McBride
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list