From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] machine check exception errors
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 21:05:25
1 On Tuesday 14 September 2010 19:16:52 Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 09:45 -0700, Grant wrote:
3 > > I'm getting a lot of machine check exception errors in dmesg on my
4 > > hosted server. Running mcelog I get:
5 > >
6 > > # mcelog
7 > > HARDWARE ERROR. This is *NOT* a software problem!
8 >
9 > [...]
10 >
11 > > Should I just contact the hosting company? Can anyone give me more
12 > > info on what this means? Bad memory?
13 >
14 > They are likely better able to help you if it's a hardware problem.
15
16 It reads as if the error correction in one of the RAM modules is kicking in.
17 Ask them to reseat or replace the bad module - which they will have to find by
18 trial and error. They could hot-swap them and see then the errors stop.
19 --
20 Regards,
21 Mick