From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] machine check exception errors
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:38:10
1 >> > I'm getting a lot of machine check exception errors in dmesg on my
2 >> > hosted server.  Running mcelog I get:
3 >> >
4 >> > # mcelog
5 >> > HARDWARE ERROR. This is *NOT* a software problem!
6 >>
7 >> [...]
8 >>
9 >> > Should I just contact the hosting company?  Can anyone give me more
10 >> > info on what this means?  Bad memory?
11 >>
12 >> They are likely better able to help you if it's a hardware problem.
13 >
14 > It reads as if the error correction in one of the RAM modules is kicking in.
15 > Ask them to reseat or replace the bad module - which they will have to find by
16 > trial and error.  They could hot-swap them and see then the errors stop.
17 > --
18 > Regards,
19 > Mick
20
21 They offered to take my machine down and do a memory test which they
22 said would take a number of hours. Is a memory test likely to help?
23 Did you suggest reseating or replacing RAM modules as opposed to a
24 memory test because it will result in less downtime?
25
26 - Grant