From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.1...
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:25:26
1 On Donnerstag, 28. August 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 28 August 2008 21:03:28 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Donnerstag, 28. August 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > > On Thursday 28 August 2008 17:56:37 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
5 > > > > Ben, sorry, my question is OT wrt your message.
6 > > > >
7 > > > > Are there indeed good things (I don't mean ruches and flowers) in
8 > > > > KDE4 to worry about them at all? Reading all those KDE4 reviews I
9 > > > > really can not understand why KDE4 may be more useful for me rather
10 > > > > KDE3.
11 > > >
12 > > > Don't even bother trying KDE4 if you have a recent nVidia card.
13 > > > Performance is atrocious as KDE4 uses acceleration effects in plasma
14 > > > etc that nVidia didn't account for in their driver, with the results
15 > > > that significant amounts of rendering are done using a software path
16 > > > (i.e. not in hardware), which is very slow.
17 > > >
18 > > > There also doesn't appear to be any quick fix coming anytime soon.
19 > >
20 > > well, it was mostly fixed with their latest beta drivers.
21 >
22 > You mean 177.68 right?
23 >
24 > It's far from fixed here. Admittedly better than 173.*, but the vast
25 > majority of work remains to be done:
26 >
27 > translucent menu paints very slow, 3 seconds+ and jerky.
28 > Window resize slow, the content cannot keep up with a mere resize, a full
29 > repaint takes about three seconds.
30 > Window move is not perfect, but acceptable. The move motion is noticeably
31 > jerky, but the rendering of content and repainting of unobscured content
32 > below is fine.
33 >
34 > This tells me that the actual problem, as defined by AaronP on
35 > nvnews.net[1] is not being fixed in these releases, just worked around.
36 >
37 > TwinView JustWorks(tm) - what a relief! I had images of yet another massive
38 > debugging and config session when my boss proudly presented me with a brand
39 > new 17" LCD. Apparently all the sysadmins get them, just because we can :-)
40 >
41 > I'm noticing stability problems since using 177.67 - The GUI suddenly
42 > freezes solid, gkrellm stops updating, no keyboard input but mouse motion
43 > does still work. If I change to a virtual console and back to X, I get a
44 > black screen and white pointer. Luckily, I can usually log in on a virtual
45 > console and SIGHUP the window manager, this often fixes it. The only
46 > changes recently have been to e17 and the nvidia driver. I'd be tempted to
47 > say my e17 from CVS is buggy, but I get the exact same problem running
48 > KDE4, leaving the driver as the only common change.
49 >
50 > alan
51 >
52 > [1] Essentially, that most drivers when compositing are optimized for
53 > window resize in their use of video memory. nVidia instead built their
54 > stuff to optimize the common case - window refresh and move. This has the
55 > side effect of resizes falling back to a default (and excruciatingly slow)
56 > software code path.
57
58 they released 177.70 today ;)