From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.1...
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:47:30
1 On Thursday 28 August 2008 21:03:28 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Donnerstag, 28. August 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 28 August 2008 17:56:37 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
4 > > > Ben, sorry, my question is OT wrt your message.
5 > > >
6 > > > Are there indeed good things (I don't mean ruches and flowers) in KDE4
7 > > > to worry about them at all? Reading all those KDE4 reviews I really can
8 > > > not understand why KDE4 may be more useful for me rather KDE3.
9 > >
10 > > Don't even bother trying KDE4 if you have a recent nVidia card.
11 > > Performance is atrocious as KDE4 uses acceleration effects in plasma etc
12 > > that nVidia didn't account for in their driver, with the results that
13 > > significant amounts of rendering are done using a software path (i.e. not
14 > > in hardware), which is very slow.
15 > >
16 > > There also doesn't appear to be any quick fix coming anytime soon.
17 >
18 > well, it was mostly fixed with their latest beta drivers.
19
20 You mean 177.68 right?
21
22 It's far from fixed here. Admittedly better than 173.*, but the vast majority
23 of work remains to be done:
24
25 translucent menu paints very slow, 3 seconds+ and jerky.
26 Window resize slow, the content cannot keep up with a mere resize, a full
27 repaint takes about three seconds.
28 Window move is not perfect, but acceptable. The move motion is noticeably
29 jerky, but the rendering of content and repainting of unobscured content below
30 is fine.
31
32 This tells me that the actual problem, as defined by AaronP on nvnews.net[1]
33 is not being fixed in these releases, just worked around.
34
35 TwinView JustWorks(tm) - what a relief! I had images of yet another massive
36 debugging and config session when my boss proudly presented me with a brand
37 new 17" LCD. Apparently all the sysadmins get them, just because we can :-)
38
39 I'm noticing stability problems since using 177.67 - The GUI suddenly freezes
40 solid, gkrellm stops updating, no keyboard input but mouse motion does still
41 work. If I change to a virtual console and back to X, I get a black screen and
42 white pointer. Luckily, I can usually log in on a virtual console and SIGHUP
43 the window manager, this often fixes it. The only changes recently have been
44 to e17 and the nvidia driver. I'd be tempted to say my e17 from CVS is buggy,
45 but I get the exact same problem running KDE4, leaving the driver as the only
46 common change.
47
48 alan
49
50 [1] Essentially, that most drivers when compositing are optimized for window
51 resize in their use of video memory. nVidia instead built their stuff to
52 optimize the common case - window refresh and move. This has the side effect
53 of resizes falling back to a default (and excruciatingly slow) software code
54 path.
57 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com