From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need some help with switching KDE setup from i915 to radeon graphics
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2016 12:12:02
1 Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Hello Fellows,
4 >
5 > My PC had been running on Intel graphics for 1½ years. Finally, I got
6 > myself an AMD R7 370 today and installed it (together with a second
7 > set of 16 Gigs of RAM ^^).
8
9 I'm using a R7 250. It has probably an other architecture, so I don't
10 know if my informations are useful for you.
11
12 > I could use some help getting it working properly. Here is what I did:
13 > yesterday I enabled VIDEO_CARDS=radeon in make.conf and rebuilt world
14 > with --changed-use. I also reconfigured the kernel to build the Intel
15 > driver as a module and to include the radeon module.
16
17 In my make.conf I defined
18
19 VIDEO_CARDS="radeon radeonsi"
20
21 IIRC this double definition is needed for some functions.
22
23 In my kernel config I defined
24
25 CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
26 CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_USERPTR=y
27
28 Btw.: I don't use a modular kernel, but I think that this makes no
29 difference.
30
31 > After installing the card, at first I only had a black screen and
32 > found out (thanks to #gentoo) that I needed a firmware blob. Once
33 > that was installed, I had a KMS-enabled VT on my AMD-connected
34 > monitor. Yay.
35
36 That's right. You need some firmware files.
37
38 > Now I'm stuck with a malfunctioning X (or more specifically, KDE, as
39 > it seems). I can run AwesomeWM just fine. But when I try to start
40 > KDE, I see the first of those fading-in progress icons and then the
41 > screen goes black.
42 >
43 > I created a test account to have a clean setup of KDE. This starts KDE
44 > partially, only up to a desktop with an empty panel. There is no mouse
45 > cursor to move around and no reaction to shortcuts such as Alt+F2.
46 >
47 > What else could I have missed in my migration from Intel to AMD?
48 > eselect opengl only shows the xorg-x11 option. I had to comment out a
49 > modeline which I set manually in xorg.conf.
50
51 It's ok that eselect opengl only shows the xorg-x11 option. Same on my
52 system.
53
54 > See attached:
55 > - /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/gfx.conf
56 > - /var/log/Xorg.0.log from running startx with .xinitrc containing
57 > startkde. You can see those three blocks of modelines at the end. At
58 > around or just before this point the screen goes dark.
59
60 I really don't think that you need any modeline. Your monitor provides
61 an EDID data block that contains all needed information. As long as the
62 monitor has no firmware bug, this should be sufficient.
63
64 You probably also don't need a xorg.conf. But this depends on your card
65 and on the options you wanna use. My xorg.conf contains only a device
66 section and nothing else.
67
68 Section "Device"
69 Identifier "ATI-Card"
70 Driver "radeon"
71 Option "TearFree" "on"
72 Option "ShadowPrimary" "off"
73 EndSection
74
75 As you can see, there is also an TearFree option for Radeon Cards.
76 When I don't disable ShadowPrimary, then X has some rendering
77 glitches.
78
79 And last but not least, it probably may be important that you
80 compile xf86-video-ati with the glamor USE flag. I'm using a stable
81 gentoo system with only a few exceptions. xf86-video-ati is one of
82 it, because version 7.6.1 runs much smoother with my card than the
83 stable version.
84
85 x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-7.6.1 glamor udev
86
87 There is also a gentoo radeon wiki available on the net. I used it
88 to get my card working. I can't remember the URL and I'm too lazy
89 to search for it right now, sorry for that. ;-)
92 Regards
93 wabe