From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Video card with two ports.
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 13:28:54
1 On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 02:40:15PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On 30/10/2013 04:32, Dale wrote:
4 > > Howdy,
5 > >
6 > > Quick question. I have a Nvidia GeForce GT 220 video card. It has a
7 > > VGA and a HDMI connection. My question, if I hook a monitor to each
8 > > port, they will both have the same pic right?
9 >
10 > Depends on the card.
11 >
12 > It might have two "processors"[1], one for each output then it will be
13 > dual-head and you can have different output to each.
14 >
15 > Or it might have one "processor" and two outputs coming from the same
16 > place. That's the same picture on both, call this dual-screen if you will.
17 >
18 > ignore what Google says. Read the actual nVidia spec sheet, that tells
19 > you what you really have.
20
21 Well, even the teensie bitty graphics inside my netbook can manage two
22 separate screens between which windows can be moved around, albeit with
23 limited pixel count (1400x1050 is the maximum for external monitor).
24 I can't imagine there's anything weaker on the graphics market these
25 days than an Atom IGP from a few years ago.
26
27 That's within a single xorg session though, I never tried separate xorgs
28 per output.
29
30 $ xrandr --output LVDS --auto --primary --output VGA --left-of LVDS --auto
31 would give me two screens, the primary on the internal screen and on the
32 VGA output the second one which is logically placed left of the internal
33 picture.
34 --
35 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
36 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
37
38 Which animal can add? An Octoplus.