From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Video card with two ports.
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:40:40
1 On 30/10/2013 04:32, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > Quick question. I have a Nvidia GeForce GT 220 video card. It has a
5 > VGA and a HDMI connection. My question, if I hook a monitor to each
6 > port, they will both have the same pic right?
7
8 Depends on the card.
9
10 It might have two "processors"[1], one for each output then it will be
11 dual-head and you can have different output to each.
12
13 Or it might have one "processor" and two outputs coming from the same
14 place. That's the same picture on both, call this dual-screen if you will.
15
16 ignore what Google says. Read the actual nVidia spec sheet, that tells
17 you what you really have.
21 > Also, I have not hooked
22 > anything to the HDMI port yet, does it "just work" or do I have to set
23 > something for it to work in xorg.conf or something.
24
25 Modern xorg is a case of plug it in and it works. I suppose you *could*
26 configure things so that the output becomes disabled, but that would be
27 a really thick thing to do, and I've yet to find anyone who did it :-)
30 > From what I have found on google, the first question is that both will
31 > be the same. I'm not sure on the second question.
34 [1] for lack of a better word :-)
37 Alan McKinnon
38 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com