From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SUSPECTED SPAM] [OT] Best *SIMPLE* firewall?
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 18:21:00
1 On Thursday, 1 March 2018 17:58:44 GMT Tom H wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 4:15 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > Is there something besides iptables? It seems to be like
4 > > systemd/perl/python, continuously expanding its scope. And no, I'm not
5 > > looking for an "easy-peasy front-end gui" that'll probably pull in 90%
6 > > of QT as dependancies. I fondly remember IPCHAINS.
7 >
8 > iptables doesn't depend on systemd, perl, or python.
9 >
10 > firewalld depends on dbus, polkit, and python.
11 >
12 > ufw depends on python.
13 >
14 > But there may be other iptables frontends that depend on more,
15 > especially if they are graphical.
16 >
17 > The advantage of iptables frontends is that you only have to allow
18 > "your" ports (for a minimal customization) without having to worry
19 > about all the other stuff that you need to set up when you use
20 > iptables directly.
21 >
22 > I've used apf, arno, and ufw. The first two depend on bash and simply
23 > require you to set variables in "/etc/$firewall/".
24
25 +1 for net-firewall/arno-iptables-firewall if you need a script to set up
26 iptables for you.
27
28 I am using vanilla iptables with simple hand-made scripts on a number of
29 systems, so it shouldn't be too difficult to roll your own if your demands are
30 relatively simple.
33 Regards,
34 Mick