From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block (0,0)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 04:40:47
1 Joseph wrote:
2 > On 11/16/10 21:45, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 > [snip]
5 >>> The BIOS sees both HD but, boot sector is working OK as grub comes up
6 >>> but then I get a message:
7 >>>
8 >>> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block (0,0)
9 >>> please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
10 >>> partitions:
11 >>> 0300 4191302 hda driver: ide-cdrom
12 >>>
13 >>> So it seems kernel does not see the sata drives, but how it is
14 >>> possible? Boot partition is on sda
15 >>>
16 >>> Someone suggested that BIOS is seeing different logical layout of
17 >>> cylinders/ heads.
18 >>> In BIOS setup there a choice of IDE mode, AHCI mode, etc
19 >>
20 >> It sounds to me like you don't have the drivers for the chipset. If you
21 >> leave those out or they are modules, it can't see the drives.
22 >>
23 >> Keep in mind, just because grub sees the drives does not mean the kernel
24 >> does. They are two separate things. Grub only passes info on to the
25 >> kernel. Once you select what you want to boot, grub is out of the
26 >> picture.
27 >>
28 >> Dale
29 >>
30 >> :-) :-)
31 >
32 > Thanks for the hint.
33 > What should I look for? I think "lspci" list some chipset, MCP51 but
34 > kernel is not listing anything on MCP51
37 Try lspci -k from the CD. That should tell you what driver the CD is
38 using. Then while in the kernel config, just look for that driver. If
39 in menuconfig, try the question mark key. Then type in the name of the
40 driver and it should show you where it is exactly.
41
42 Most CDs use the old IDE drivers so you may have to try this site:
43
44 http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
45
46 That should list all the drivers you need for your hardware. Details on
47 the site as to what to post there. Neat site too.
48
49 Dale
50