From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block (0,0)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 05:53:47
1 On 11/16/10 22:40, Dale wrote:
2 >>
3 >> Thanks for the hint.
4 >> What should I look for? I think "lspci" list some chipset, MCP51 but
5 >> kernel is not listing anything on MCP51
8 >Try lspci -k from the CD. That should tell you what driver the CD is
9 >using. Then while in the kernel config, just look for that driver. If
10 >in menuconfig, try the question mark key. Then type in the name of the
11 >driver and it should show you where it is exactly.
12 >
13 >Most CDs use the old IDE drivers so you may have to try this site:
14 >
15 >http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
16 >
17 >That should list all the drivers you need for your hardware. Details on
18 >the site as to what to post there. Neat site too.
19 >
20 >Dale
21 >
22 >:-) :-)
23
24 Thank you, I run lspci -n retyping all the numbers manually :-/ on
25 http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
26
27 So now system boots but I can not seem to the network card going.
28 On the "lspci -k" I think you mean lspci -nn (there is no switch -k)
29
30 Anyhow, "dmesg |grep eth" shows:
31 forcedeth 0000:00:14.0 ifname eth0, PHY OUI addr. 00:17:31:83:a1:53
32 udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
33
34 Any idea why is it renaming network interface?
35 I have forcedeth loaded in the kernel but it is not bringing it up :-(
38 Joseph