From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] too many kernel problems!
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 00:53:43
1 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2
3 >Hi list!
4 >
5 >you may remember my post recently[1] on 2.6.13 problems (it was very
6 >slow to run). This turned out to be a hyperthreaded issue[2], which was
7 >fixed by a couple of patches [3], [4].
8 >
9 >However, I can't find a kernel that will run both a) hyperthreading and
10 >b) suspend / resume in a stable manner!
11 >
12 >Here's a little table to show what I mean. The c-state patch is the one
13 >required to get HT working. With it, suspend (to disk) doesn't work,
14 >without it, usability is crap!
15 >
16 > kernel c-state patch? SMP speed suspend general
17 >2.6.12-gr7 no fast untested stable
18 >----------
19 >2.6.13-gr2 no slow stable stable
20 >2.6.13-gr2 yes fast unstable
21 >----------
22 >2.6.13-gr3 no
23 >2.6.13-gr3 yes fast unstable unstable
24 >
25 >I can't yet post any of this on bugzilla.kernel.org because I'm not
26 >using vanilla sources. It would take more time that I have right now to
27 >try it all again with vanilla.
28 >
29 >So, my question is: Do I have to give up suspend? (I hope not, as when
30 >it does work it works great and only takes a few seconds to suspend /
31 >start up). Is it worth a bugzilla entry anywhere?
32 >
33 >[I'm using only the gentoo-sources for suspend, no extra patches or
34 >utilities. To suspend, I just type `echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk;
35 >echo disk > /sys/power/state` as root]
36 >
37 >I'm hoping there are some kernel guru's out there somewhere that can
38 >give me some pointers.
42 You might trying playing with some kernel boot options
43 (kernel-parameters.txt). I have, at various times, needed one of:
44
45 acpi=ht
46 pci=routeirq
47
48 in order for suspend/resume to become stable.
49
50 HTH,
51 -Richard
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list